Int J Clin Pract - 2021 Mar
Aims of the study: Patient comprehension is a critical part of meeting medical ethics standards of informed consent in study designs. The aim of the study was to determine if sufficient literature exists to require clinicians to disclose the specific risk that COVID-19 vaccines could worsen disease upon exposure to challenge or circulating virus.
Methods used to conduct the study: Published literature was reviewed to identify preclinical and clinical evidence that COVID-19 vaccines could worsen disease upon exposure to challenge or circulating virus. Clinical trial protocols for COVID-19 vaccines were reviewed to determine if risks were properly disclosed.
Results of the study: COVID-19 vaccines designed to elicit neutralising antibodies may sensitise vaccine recipients to more severe disease than if they were not vaccinated. Vaccines for SARS, MERS and RSV have never been approved, and the data generated in the development and testing of these vaccines suggest a serious mechanistic concern: that vaccines designed empirically using the traditional approach (consisting of the unmodified or minimally modified coronavirus viral spike to elicit neutralising antibodies), be they composed of protein, viral vector, DNA or RNA and irrespective of delivery method, may worsen COVID-19 disease via antibody-dependent enhancement (ADE). This risk is sufficiently obscured in clinical trial protocols and consent forms for ongoing COVID-19 vaccine trials that adequate patient comprehension of this risk is unlikely to occur, obviating truly informed consent by subjects in these trials.
Conclusions drawn from the study and clinical implications: The specific and significant COVID-19 risk of ADE should have been and should be prominently and independently disclosed to research subjects currently in vaccine trials, as well as those being recruited for the trials and future patients after vaccine approval, in order to meet the medical ethics standard of patient comprehension for informed consent.
© 2020 John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
Conflict of interest statement
The authors have declared no conflicts of interest for this article.
- A prospective, randomized, single-blinded, crossover trial to investigate the effect of a wearable device in addition to a daily symptom diary for the remote early detection of SARS-CoV-2 infections (COVID-RED): a structured summary of a study protocol for a randomized controlled trial.Brakenhoff TB, Franks B, Goodale BM, van de Wijgert J, Montes S, Veen D, Fredslund EK, Rispens T, Risch L, Dowling AV, Folarin AA, Bruijning P, Dobson R, Heikamp T, Klaver P, Cronin M, Grobbee DE; COVID-RED Consortium.Trials. 2021 Jun 22;22(1):412. doi: 10.1186/s13063-021-05241-5.PMID: 34158099 Free PMC article.
- A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase III clinical trial to evaluate the efficacy and safety of SARS-CoV-2 vaccine (inactivated, Vero cell): a structured summary of a study protocol for a randomised controlled trial.Akova M, Unal S.Trials. 2021 Apr 13;22(1):276. doi: 10.1186/s13063-021-05180-1.PMID: 33849629 Free PMC article.
- Consensus summary report for CEPI/BC March 12-13, 2020 meeting: Assessment of risk of disease enhancement with COVID-19 vaccines.Lambert PH, Ambrosino DM, Andersen SR, Baric RS, Black SB, Chen RT, Dekker CL, Didierlaurent AM, Graham BS, Martin SD, Molrine DC, Perlman S, Picard-Fraser PA, Pollard AJ, Qin C, Subbarao K, Cramer JP.Vaccine. 2020 Jun 26;38(31):4783-4791. doi: 10.1016/j.vaccine.2020.05.064. Epub 2020 May 25.PMID: 32507409 Free PMC article.
- Assessment of Length and Readability of Informed Consent Documents for COVID-19 Vaccine Trials.Emanuel EJ, Boyle CW.JAMA Netw Open. 2021 Apr 1;4(4):e2110843. doi: 10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2021.10843.PMID: 33909052 Free PMC article.
- Role of antibody-dependent enhancement (ADE) in the virulence of SARS-CoV-2 and its mitigation strategies for the development of vaccines and immunotherapies to counter COVID-19.Karthik K, Senthilkumar TMA, Udhayavel S, Raj GD.Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2020 Dec 1;16(12):3055-3060. doi: 10.1080/21645515.2020.1796425. Epub 2020 Aug 26.PMID: 32845733 Free PMC article. Review.See all similar articles
Cited by 2 articles
- Playing vaccine roulette: Why the current strategy of staking everything on Covid-19 vaccines is a high-stakes wager.Paul E, Brown GW, Kalk A, Ridde V.Vaccine. 2021 Jul 20:S0264-410X(21)00923-3. doi: 10.1016/j.vaccine.2021.07.045. Online ahead of print.PMID: 34315610 Free PMC article. No abstract available.
- Vaccines for COVID-19: learning from ten phase II trials to inform clinical and public health vaccination programmes.Bhopal SS, Olabi B, Bhopal R.Public Health. 2021 Apr;193:57-60. doi: 10.1016/j.puhe.2021.01.011. Epub 2021 Jan 29.PMID: 33743214 Free PMC article.
- Huisman W, Martina BE, Rimmelzwaan GF, Gruters RA, Osterhaus AD. Vaccine‐induced enhancement of viral infections. Vaccine. 2009;27:505‐512. - PMC - PubMed
- Boyoglu‐Barnum S, Chirkova T, Anderson LJ. Biology of infection and disease pathogenesis to guide RSV vaccine development. Front Immunol. 2019;10:1675. - PMC - PubMed
- Chen WH, Hotez PJ, Bottazzi ME. Potential for developing a SARS‐CoV receptor‐binding domain (RBD) recombinant protein as a heterologous human vaccine against coronavirus infectious disease (COVID)‐19. Human Vacc Immunother. 2020;16:1239‐1242. - PMC - PubMed
- Jiang S, He Y, Liu S. SARS vaccine development. Emerg Infect Dis. 2005;11:1016‐1020. - PMC - PubMed
- Tseng CT, Sbrana E, Iwata‐Yoshikawa N, et al. Immunization with SARS coronavirus vaccines leads to pulmonary immunopathology on challenge with the SARS virus. PLoS One. 2012;7:e35421. - PMC - PubMedShow all 20 references
- COVID-19 Vaccines*
- Informed Consent
- COVID-19 Vaccines
- P51 OD011104/OD/NIH HHS/United States
- R21 AI157604/AI/NIAID NIH HHS/United States
- R21AI157604/National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
LinkOut - more resources
Full Text Sources
GERMS DEBUNK CORONA
The truth about ALL germs and the history of germ theory. Viruses aren't the only mythical unicorns out there. - First published at 10:54 UTC on June 19th, 2021. (video)
Bannons War Room Published July 28, 2021
The bottom line is for the people to regain their original, moral principles, which have intentionally been watered out over the past generations by our press, TV, and other media owned by the Illuminati/Bilderberger Group, corrupting our morals by making misbehavior acceptable to our society. Only in this way shall we conquer this oncoming wave of evil.
There is a great danger in enhancing/modifying a virus. Giving it free reins is like playing Russian roulette to modify itself without limits. The live test specified on the dying Russian woman above where the virus had changed 40 times where it also seemed to behave in an intelligent way to avoid detection by our defense system. There is a great danger in playing around with virus creations which might get totally out of hand and subject the world to deadly pandemoniums.
All articles contained in Human-Synthesis are freely available and collected from the Internet. The interpretation of the contents is left to the readers and do not necessarily represent the views of the Administrator. Disclaimer: The contents of this article are of sole responsibility of the author(s). Human-Synthesis will not be responsible for any inaccurate or incorrect statement in this article. Human-Synthesis grants permission to cross-post original Human-Synthesis articles on community internet sites as long as the text & title are not modified